So I survived the big Wasatch Back Race!! It was killer. Twelve crazy girls in two separate vans running a total of 180 miles! Many times throughout the race I was thinking, "Why did I pay money to actually torture my body?" Basically we run, drink, eat what crappy food we have in the van, drink some more, run, try to sleep, run, and run some more. Don't forget this is also in the middle of the 95 degree heat and in the middle of the night and anytime else that you have to run in order to get this race finished.
We finished in about 33 hours - go us! I'm just glad we made it. Our motto was "When We Finish We Win!" so that was all we were hoping for! The places that we have to run are very unique compared to other races, because they range from roads, trails, straight uphill climbs, vertical downhill paths, and anywhere in between these! It is an experience I will not ever forget, but probably won't be doing again in the near future. We had a great group of girls (we had an all girl team) and I made some great friendships. One of the girls on our team ended up in the hospital because of extreme stress on her legs! Her calf muscles and tissue started swelling and wouldn't stop. She ended up needing surgery or else she would have lost her leg! What a girl, I'll tell you - and she even finished the entire race in extreme pain! I can't believe her, she is amazing! I catch myself continually thinking about her and her family, I'm glad she got her leg taken care of - we all are!
Besides the torture I also had a blast! By the end of the race we were food deprived, sleep deprived, heat scorched, sun burned, sore, blistered, chaffed, and delirious! We couldn't get words out right and were cracking up at every little thing that was said. I'm happy to say I survived and now I can say I've done the Wasatch Back and it was definitely worth it!
11 comments:
YOU ARE AN INSPIRATION! Congrats for finishing.
Wow! That's so awesome that you did that! My body would give out about 30 seconds into it. Hey, do you by chance have your mom's address for the shower? If not, let me know. Thanks Chelsea!
Wow Chelsea! Sounds crazy, I'm glad you survived. I thought about you on Sunday morning and wondered how you were doing. I'd love to hear more. I'll call you soon!
Wow! Good job I wondered how it went? I am not sure if I want to do this, well I think it would be fun once. Good job, what an accomplishment.
You go girl!!! Woo Hoo!!!
Chelsea, you KICK BUTT! Go Chelsea!!! I am so proud of you. I look up to you so much for everything, but especially how you finish things through to the end. Well done big sis'
So Chelsea, I want to see some pic's...do you have any to post?
Way to go Chelsea - you are awesome! So proud of you. I am jealous of the shape you must be in. I can't imagine doing something like that!
impressive!!!
Congrats on completing the race. I have a friend that I teach with who also ran the Wasatch Back. Her group was dressed as pigs.
Awesome job Chelsea!
You have the cutest family!
Post a Comment