WE LOVE YOU GRANDPA GENE!!
Some great memories with my Grandpa.....
* His huge Silver Dollar pancakes!
* His magic teeth he could somehow take out (I never understood this when I was little).
* He always told me he was raised by wolves, and I always believed him when I was little. I thought he was so cool and strong to have done that!
* His medicine he kept in his pocket. I didn't understand why he always had to have his medicine (which was really chewing tobacco).
* He would always get me a KING SIZE treat from the store when I was with him.
* My sisters and I moved sprinkler pipe on his farm all growing up. I remember every once in awhile he would pay us. One time he gave us a REAL $100 bill! We were so excited and we thought we were soooooooo rich!
* The greatest memories I have of my grandpa was when I got to go up to camp with him up the canyon. My sisters and I would take turns going up with him. We would spend the weekend herding cattle together. He helped me to become a better horse rider and how to be strong and tough. He taught me how to work hard. He taught me how to "know" the herd. He taught me how to enjoy every little thing in life and nature and not take it for granted. I loved the campfire with my grandpa and the stories he would tell. And of course his HUGE pancakes in the mornings with over-easy eggs!! Boy will he be missed!!


Eugene Nielsen Larson
1931-2008
Eugene Nielsen Larson, aka: Gene and Lars, crossed over in the afternoon of Thursday, Nov. 13, 2008, at the North Hawaii Community Hospital in Waimea, Hawaii, on the Big Island, where he was living with his wife and daughter's family. He was born Aug. 8, 1931, in Logan, Utah, to Agnita and John Nielsen. "My mother died when I was four days old and I was raised by Archie and Mary Larson with my brother Glen, all of whom I loved dearly. I was raised in Pocatello Valley on Arch and Mary's dry farm and in Hyrum, Utah. I started farming for my father when I was 12 years old. My greatest love was my parents, Archie and Mary Larson, family, my wife, Maxine Nielsen, and our children, Dennis, Kaye Lynn and Jeff. Maxine passed away Aug. 7, 1975, the day before my birthday. My daughter passed away Feb. 14, 1999. I then met and married my angel, Barbara Maughan. She brought with her five wonderful children, Dave, Steve, Paul, Julie and Jamie, whom I loved as my own. Together we blended two wonderful families, which has grown into the Larson clan of eight children, their mates, and 22 grandchildren, five great-grandchildren and more on the way. I served on the Old Folks Committee, vice president of the South Cache Cattleman's Association, president of Hyrum City Saddle Club and rode for the Cattle Association for many years. I also worked for Hyrum City at the power plant. I was a rancher and dairy farmer. In my younger years I was a cowboy member of the RMRA Rodeo circuit. I was a hunter, fisherman and great lover of the outdoors, the beautiful planet we live on. I had many friends and loved them and appreciated them all. Barbara was my angel, saving my life three times, when Maxine died she came and when I had cancer she kept me out of pain and at peace. I had 19 brothers and sisters; surviving are Gene and Helen Michaelas, Norma Nielsen (Don followed his brother), Arthur Campbell, Albert and Betty Campbell, Gweneva and Carl Peterson. "I am survived by my wife, Barbara Larson; Dennis (Johna) Larson, of Millville, Utah; Jeff (Mollie) Larson, of Logan, Utah; Dave (Almalinda) Leiser, of Newberry, Fla.; Steve (Francine) Leiser, of Phoenix, Ariz.; Paul (Nancy) Leiser, of Dentin, Texas; Jamie (Darren) Isaacs, of Boise, Idaho; Julie (Dave) Taylor, of Waikoloa, Hawaii; daughter/granddaughter, Diana Leiser, of Norfolk, Va.; cousins: Fred and June Bowan, Russ and Lanae Tarbett ;plus all the grandkids and my little dog companion, Dot. I loved you all and will miss you, and you all know who you are. When you think of me know I am by you. Live, Laugh, Play. Enjoy this great life even with it's hardships." We love you Gene, Dad, Grandpa, and along with our tears we will laugh and remember how you touched our lives! Gene was a cowboy, but also his heart was with the Native Americans. The quote he lived by was made from a great Indian chief of the Nez Perce, Chief Joseph - "Where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever." This following article appeared in the Herald Journal a few years back: "Where were you?" Annual TOU, The Top of Utah Marathon runners know about the Hyrum City Park man, and every year he sits out on his porch with a cup of coffee and cheers everybody on with a "Good morning!" or "Nice day for a run - good job!" But not this year. We wondered where he was this year. His wave and friendly smile were sorely missed (This is that man). Interment will be in our hearts ... A Hui Hou (Til we meet again). Condolences may be sent to Barbara Larson-POB 385774 Waikoloa, HI 96738 or to Jeff Larson-645 Legend Dr. Logan, UT 84321 or Dennis Larson-POB 473 Millville, UT 84321.
4 comments:
I am so sorry to hear about your grandfather! What a wonderful legacy he leaves for his family!
Chelsea,
Sorry to hear about your Grandpa Gene. I can't even imagine losing Grandpa Larson. He sounds like a wonderful man!
Sorry to hear about your Grandpa.
Chelsea, I love it. I am so happy you put this up. You are totally right...he was a GREAT guy!
Post a Comment